Got questions? No problem - check out this list of frequently asked questions. If you don't find an answer to the question you have, then drop us a quick message here and we'll be happy to help.

What are medicinal mushroom extracts & how are they made?

A medicinal mushroom extract, or tincture, is a concentrated liquid containing beneficial compounds that have been extracted from mushrooms known for their health-giving properties.

Our mushroom extracts are made by slowly steeping or extracting the active compounds from the mushrooms in hot water for 48 hours. We then slowly evaporate this extract down to increase the strength, or concentration. This hot water extract is then blended with an alcohol extraction, which over the course of 4 weeks draws out a different set of compounds from the mushrooms. This way you receive a broad spectrum of beneficial compounds in an easy to consume liquid format, that also has a long shelf life.

How do I use liquid mushroom extracts?
  • Take 1-2ml per day
  • 1 x 50ml bottle = approx. 1 month supply
  • Shake bottle well before use
  • Best taken in the morning at least 10 minutes before eating

To consume the extract, you can either:

  1. Take directly under your tongue
  2. Drop into a glass of water or juice
  3. Drop into your tea or coffee
  4. Add to smoothies or meals

Whichever method you prefer & fits best with your normal daily routines.

Some people find the mushroomy taste a little strong or bitter to take directly. In this case, add to your favourite drink, smoothie or meal to hide the taste but still enjoy the health benefits.

Do your mushroom extracts have a strong taste?

The taste can vary depending on the mushroom species. For example, some mushrooms like Reishi and Chaga are very bitter, whilst other such as Cordyceps are mildly sweet (the bitterness is due to some really beneficial compounds by the way!). Some people like this bitter flavour, and others can't stand it! If you find you don't like the flavour, simply put your drops into your favourite beverages to mask the taste if needed.

How safe are mushroom extract supplements?

Mushroom extracts containing well know functional mushrooms (such the species we work with here at MycoTonics), should be safe for the vast majority of people to consume. There is a long history of use in Asia, and they are generally considered very safe for most individuals.

However, if you are allergic to mushrooms, are already using medications, or are pregnant or breastfeeding, it’s always wise to ask your doctor or healthcare professional about any new supplements you are considering taking.

Are your mushroom extracts organic?

Yes, our mushroom extracts are certified organic by the Soil Association. They are made from from mushrooms that we grow to organic standards here at our farm in Devon to ensure the highest quality and purity. With some mushrooms, such as Chaga, that is not cultivated, but wild harvested instead, we source directly from suppliers who sustainably harvest and are certified organic.

Are your mushroom extracts suitable for vegetarians and vegans?

Yes, our mushroom extracts are absolutely suitable for vegetarians and vegans. They are completely free from animal products, preservatives, and artificial additives. They contain only organic mushrooms, organic alcohol and natural spring water.

Do your extracts contain any allergens?

Our products do not contain any common allergens. Some people may wish to avoid taking them due to the small amount of alcohol in each extract. Also, although it is incredibly rare, some individuals may be sensitive to mushrooms and so we advise to always start with a small dose to ensure no adverse reactions. If in doubt, consult with a qualified medical practioner.

How should I store mushroom extracts?

Store your extract in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight, and out of reach of children. Shake well each time before use.

What is the sediment in the bottom of my bottle?

These are some of the beneficial beta glucans that were extracted from the mushrooms during the hot water extraction process (some of these heavier weight molecules precipitate back out into solid form when blended with the alcohol). These compounds are good for you and this is why we do not filter them out. Simply shake the bottle each time before consuming to distribute them equally into each does you take.

What dose should I have? How long does a 50ml bottle last?

Our suggested daily does is 1-2ml per day. This is generally 2-3 droppers full, depending on how much you draw up in each dropper pipette. You can take this at any time of day, though we recommend morning for cordyceps and Lion's Mane in particular as these have a stimulatory effect which could interfere with a good night's sleep if taken later on in the day.

This means each 50ml bottle contains 25 - 50 servings, depending on the dose you choose. Many people aim for around 1.6ml/day which means a bottle will provide 30 days of extract.

How long does it take to feel the beneficial effects?

For most people, the beneficial effects are felt most after approx. 2 weeks of daily consumption. However, some people begin to feel the effects after just a few days. Consistency is key though, so we encourage you to build a daily routine for best results.

Can I take more than one mushroom extract at a time?

Yes, many people do this to benefit from a wide spectrum of health-giving compounds. You can consume up to 2ml per day of each species you are taking.

Is it possible to overdose on mushroom extracts?

Although it's pretty difficult to overdose on medicinal mushrooms, it is possible to take too much if you take high doses over a longer period of time. Doing this can put your liver and kidneys under pressure, so we recommend you stick to the maximum 2ml per day recommended dose.

Can I take mushroom extracts alongside other prescribed medications?

If you are also taking prescribed medications, we recommend consulting with your doctor or other qualified medical practitioner before taking mushroom extracts.

In most cases, mushroom extracts are safe to consume, however if you are taking immunosuppressant medications, blood thinners, or blood pressure medications you should be particularly sure to first consult a doctor.

How strong are your extracts? What does a 1:3 concentration mean?

Our mushroom extracts are 1:3 concentration, which simply means that 1000mg of dried mushroom material (equivalent of 10g fresh mushrooms) was used for every 3ml of liquid extract final product.

So, 17,000mg of dried mushroom material have been extracted in each 50ml bottle. This is the equivalent of 170g of fresh mushrooms extracted in each bottle.

Each 1ml of liquid extract contains 340mg of mushroom extracted, so a 2ml daily dose contains 680mg of mushroom material.

This is considered a fairly high strength liquid extract. There are many products on the market which are 1:5 - 1:20 concentration. The higher the number the less concentrated, so a 1:12 concentration contains only 1/4 of the mushrooms that are in a 1:3 extract.

Should I take a break from taking your extracts?

We recommend taking a 1 week break every 3 months for maximum beneficial effect. Most people can do 4 x 3 months cycles like this per year.

I have a problem with my order or subscription - who should I contact?

Please get in touch and we will be happy to help. You can simply reply to any of the emails you have received from us or drop us a message using our contact page.

Are your extracts Gluten free and Vegan?

Yes, all our extracts are 100% Gluten free and Vegan. They contain only organic mushrooms, spring water and organic alcohol (25% ABV)